Saturday, April 19, 2014

Hellschreiber Contest




I have been experimenting with the Hellschreiber mode lately and looking at the simplicity along with the human element to this digital "fuzzy" mode. I joined the Feld Hell Club (and got a cool membership certificate).


They ended up having a contest this weekend  (Saturday) from 2000 to 2200 UTC.


I listened and called CQ on all the recommended Fled Hell frequencies, however I only heard stations on 20 meters. I was only able to make two contacts (W0IZ in Colorado @665mi and K7SCX also in Colorado @838mi) . K7SCX's QRZ page listed his last 15 QSO's and I was listed, pretty cool. Anyway, the mode is very fun and easy to operate with on the air. I ended up calling W0IZ after the contested because his signal was so strong throughout the contest and I wanted to let him know. We had a nice QSO and at the end he told me my signal was very strong there as well. What is interesting about that, is he was running 100 watts and I was only running 5 watts! Fun stuff. I need to do experiments with Feld Hell using micro controller beacons as well. -73


No comments:

Post a Comment