Sunday, March 6, 2016

DIY Tacoma Bed Rack

Since I will be needing a bed rack system for my folding camper I came up with a low cost DIY method using mostly Home Depot parts.



The key piece to the system are the T-slot nuts that you can get from Amazon HERE.

The rest of the parts are the following:

  • 1 inch long 3/8 inch bolts for the T-slot nuts
  • 3/8 inch washers
  • 3/8 inch lock washers
  • 1 1/2 inch U-Bolt
  • 3/4 inch conduit
  • Superstrut 2-Hole 90 degree Angle Bracket - In Electrical section

That is two of the 90 degree bracket next to each other. So  each side needs two brackets, two t-slot nuts, two bolts and a U-bolt.


Here is another view with the bracket in position on the rail from below. Once everything is tightened up it becomes very strong, of course I provide no guarantee of safety, etc. use of this information is at your own risk. This system could also be used for mobile antennas :-) - 73




3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Great inspiration and ideas as I built the bike rack rails for my Tacoma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how much weight would you estimate it holding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Planning to do it upside down (the conduit to remain inside) as I do have a cover

    ReplyDelete