Saturday, February 22, 2014

Capacitive Battery Charger round 2 (Fail)

I did not have any luck with the  first round of the capacitive charger and thought maybe I need more charging current. The TRW swap meet was today so I kept my eyes peeled for capacitors and founds some 20 uF 200 volt units and grabbed 2 for $5 (good deal). More capacitance will increase the current ability. I swapped in the the first one and I was charging at .75 Amps. It sat there at 10 volts  after an hour and was not going up. I placed the second 20 uF capacitor in parallel and now had 1.5 Amps of charging current. After a couple more hours the voltage had gone down to 5.5 volts. I think this battery is not recoverable in this manner. I will keep the parts handy and try it on some Seal Lead Acid (SLA) batteries if I find any cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment